Thursday, November 20, 2014

Real Barbies for Sale

I just read an article about realistic Barbies for sale! I think everyone has read the articles and seen pictures showing how Barbies are unrealistic and what a realistic Barbie would look like. Well, one of the people who made a picture of how they would look got enough funding to make the Barbies and you can now buy them. :)

I know that every time I read in the comments section under these types of articles there are tons of people who think we are a bunch of crazies to criticize Barbie bodies. They say things like, "I played with Barbies for years and I never once thought, her body is better than mine, I wish I looked like that!" Or, "Instead of changing what Barbies look like why don't you just teach your kid to love her body it's not that hard!"

I think that for these people, they just don't understand all of the intricacies of the human mind and everything that goes into self-esteem. And it's not that Barbies single-handedly warp little girls' minds; it's the accumulation of image after image that we are bombarded with over our lives that does the damage. Kudos to the people who made this cute Barbie that we can relate to!



https://lammily.com/product/lammily-exclusive-first-edition/ 

3 comments:

  1. I love this! Making realistic barbies is an excellent idea. It will help little girls understand what a realistic body looks like. No, I never compared myself to my Barbie dolls, but you're right, I was bombarded by images from the media throughout my entire childhood. The combination of everything gave me self-image problems up through high school. It's awesome that some forms of media are taking a stand to help girls have more realistic expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, That is really so cool. I want to buy one of these just be part of such an awesome statement. There are so many things that play into our own body image, and like we've talked about in class, media is a HUGE one, and barbie has been in the media for YEARS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the same article and think it's a great idea to make realistic Barbies for young girls. It's funny to see how socialized I am with how Barbie's and the ideal woman should look as seen in my first response to the newer Barbies (some of the pics of them): American girls are chubby! It's sad that it's my instant reaction--- I guess you really don't notice how much you learn or soak up the unrealistic portrayals of women from your toys, magazines, T.V. Shows, etc... If I was like this at first, I'm sure younger girls are thinking the same thing. How sad--- I hope that these realistic Barbies can help change the image of women!

    ReplyDelete