Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

Last night I watched this movie with my husband. It was a pretty good movie and I enjoyed it. But something that I noticed was that there was some crazy cigarette advertising all throughout it. Now, I know this was based on a book, and although I don't know if this was the author's intention, I know that the advertising probably worked on someone...


The main love interest holds a cigarette in his mouth throughout the whole movie. He never lights it, and only uses it as a "metaphor" because he's all cool and deep and wants to be unique blah, blah, blah. But, the whole time, it makes cigarettes look cool! Seeing an attractive male and attractive female being all lovey dovey with sunsets in the background and cool music and a cute love story and hipster clothes and touching moments just makes it look inviting and attractive. I know cigarettes are not cool, that they don't make you attractive, or help you find true love or have an exciting, romantic life. But this is the message that this media sends. And sadly, it will probably work on some poor teenagers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment